- The City of Calgary
- Posting Date
- Nov 7, 2012
- Nov 26, 2012
- Position Type
- Calgary, Alberta
Description / Qualifications
The City of Calgary Career Opportunity
Closing date: Nov. 26, 2012
Business unit information Land Use Planning & Policy (LUPP) works closely with a variety of stakeholders and regional neighbours to develop long-range plans and effectively administer associated implementation processes to ensure Calgary's growth is well managed and supports the values and priorities of all citizens. Our vision is to be a valued partner in the creation of a great city for everyone, forever. Our mission is to foster the development of a more compact, vibrant and beautiful city and region, with complete, walkable communities that provide a diversity of housing and mobility choices, and great public spaces.
The position will be involved in implementing Council policies through the planning of growth, development and design of Calgary's new communities.
Primary duties include:
• Manage Outline Plan and Land Use Amendment applications, including evaluating site planning and design.
• Review, analyze, evaluate and make recommendations on complex planning applications, and manage the circulation, team review and evaluation of planning applications in a timely manner.
• Negotiate with applicants using professional judgement and expertise to provide decisions that balance corporate goals and objectives and achieve high quality urban/community design.
• Review, research, write and present reports for Outline Plan and Land Use Amendment applications, and make recommendations to the Calgary Planning Commission and City Council.
• Respond to inquiries from aldermen, management and the general public with respect to planning applications and policies.
The successful applicant must possess a degree in Planning recognized by the Canadian Institute of Planners, or a related degree, plus six years of progressively more responsible and varied experience in the profession. Membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) is preferred.
Applicants must demonstrate the following competencies:
BUSINESS: Experience involving a broad range of projects in an urban municipality; proven track record of planning accomplishments; creative approach to problem solving; commitment to a corporate perspective; sound judgment skills; knowledge of planning legislation; experience in review and implementation of community design; and the ability to effectively negotiate and bring about good solutions.
TECHNICAL: Familiarity with relevant legislation; demonstrated community design skills; and superior planning analysis techniques.
INTERPERSONAL: Proven leadership skills; ability to mentor, motivate staff and teams, and adapt to a variety of work environments; ability to work effectively in a customer-oriented and collaborative working environment; ability to work with tight timelines; the ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing with a broad range of people within The City administration and externally; exhibit diplomacy in dealings with applicants, regional neighbours and higher orders of government. Notes Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
Only education obtained from an accredited institution will be recognized as meeting the minimum qualifications.
Applicants quoting reference 201619 must apply on or before Nov. 26, 2012.
For complete details about this position or to apply online visit our website at calgary.ca/careers and click on Job Opportunities or mail your resume to:
The City of Calgary
Human Resources (#8107)
P.O. Box 2100, Station M
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.