With remote work here to stay, professional planners are reminded that they are required to register in a province or territory where they are living and/or working.

For example, if a person is registered in Ontario as an RPP, they can’t take a contract to work in Alberta and refer to themselves as an RPP, unless they are also registered with the Alberta Professional Planning Institute. There are penalties for using professional planning credentials in a jurisdiction that an individual is not registered in.

The answer? Secondary memberships are available across the Provincial and Territorial Institutes and Associations (PTIAs) for those who work in more than one jurisdiction. Contact your PTIA for more information.

Find out more about transferring across jurisdictions here.