How Spaces Are Designed is More Critical than Ever
As planners, we create and support conditions that increase community and individual health and well-being.
Fostering vibrant environments and active lifestyles that promote and protect the health of all Canadians.”
Aspiring for More
As professionals concerned with the shaping of the built, natural, and social environment, planners can contribute to and promote the conditions under which community and individual health and well-being can be improved. Planners are trained to see a community holistically, and are in a unique position to integrate diverse perspectives, collaborate with a wide variety of allied professionals and stakeholders, and bring solutions to the table that demonstrate the principles of healthy community planning.
CIP is undertaking the following actions to ensure the organization contributes to the advancement of planning to benefit public health:
- Promoting the vision of a healthy community in our communications, policy advocacy, educational standards, professional development activities, and our work with other professions
- Making developing and deepening partnerships with other professional organizations a priority in our approach to planning healthy communities
- Ensuring that practicing planners have access to the resources, data, training, and other support they need to fully integrate a healthy community lens into their work
- Advocating for international and federal policies and actions that will contribute to healthier communities
- Considering additional implementation priorities based on an annual environmental scan and membership survey
Our Healthy Communities Work
The relationship between how our communities are designed and the health status of Canadians is ever more important, as social and environmental stressors contribute to growing physical and mental health problems in Canada.
Healthy Community Planning Policy
Our Healthy Communities Policy defines the role that planning has in fostering vibrant environments and active lifestyles that promote and protect the health of all Canadians, increasing the social and health equity of our communities.
Report on Health and Planning
CIP proudly supported the Report on Health and Planning in Canada which offers insights into the shared priorities of planners and public health professionals.
Planning Practitioner’s Handbook for Community Health
CIP proudly supports the Planning and Community Health Practitioner’s Handbook which offers insights into the shared priorities of planners and public health professionals.
Healthy Communities Practice Guide
CIP’s Healthy Communities Practice Guide is designed to help planners promote healthier communities, and to understand how health practitioners can support them in attaining that shared goal.
Check out our latest blog posts on healthy communities.
Watch our latest webinars on healthy communities.
See who we’re working with on healthy communities.